Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Festivals: Christmas in Spain


Xmas in Spain

Christmas is a celebration. We celebrate it with a special sweet called turrón, bars made of almonds, sugar and honey. We decorate the Cristmas tree with a large and beautiful star on top. Bárbara D. Carmona Guillermo, ESO 1 D


I celebrate Christmas with my family in our village. We eat ham and potatoes. We go to the main square at night. I stay at my grandparents' house. I love the presents.
Iago Álvarez Souto, ESO 2B


Christmas holidays are the 24th, 25th , 31st of December and the 1st, 5th and 6th of January.The 24th at night we celebrate the birth of Jesus, and the 25th in the morning we got the presents Papá Noel left under the Christmas tree.

Laura Riveiro Lago, ESO 1B


The End-of-Year (New Year's Eve) is held to express that a year is over and another one starts again. We eat twelve grapes, no more no less, as they mean every month in the year.

Bárbara, ESO 1 D


The 31st of December is Nochevieja -it is the last day of the year. At twelve o'clock, we eat one grape for every twelve strikes from the clock.

Laura R. L., ESO 1B


Later, the night between the 5th and the 6th of January the Three Kings (Reis/Reyes Magos -wizards) come and bring presents to every home. We leave our shoes in the living or hall to get their presents and some water for “the camels to drink”.I like Christmas because the family meet together.Then holidays finish and school starts again.
Laura R. L. and Bárbara, ESO 1B




We're singing it at the school hall!


In Spain people decorate their houses with a Christmas tree and a bethlehem, and on the streets there are many coloured lights. Our holidays are three weeks, being the special days:Nochebuena / Noiteboa (Christmas' Eve, the 24th),Navidad / Nadal (Christmas, 25th),Nochevieja / Noitevella (New Year's Eve), Año Nuevo / Aninovo (New Year) and January 5th is the night of los Reyes Magos / os Reis Magos (the Three Kings), when we have got presents and the family meet you again -it is very very happy and funny. I sing songs with my family. Christmas are very good.

Andrea Casado, ESO 1D


On the party days we eat and sing carols with the family. On the street there are many Christmas lights and at home we also put a Xmas tree with lights and many adornments: balls in different colours and garlands.

Laura Falagán, ESO 1D


Christmas time in Spain is lovely. There is snow in some places, but it is not always a white christmas.We decorate our houses with christmas trees. All the families get together and have typical christmas meals, such as "turrón", "polvorones" -recipe... We give and get presents especially on 6th January, called "Dia de los Reyes". We also celebrate "New Year's Eve" and we eat twelve grapes. We don't have to go to school and we play a lot with friends.This is the Spanish Christmas and I love it.

Antonio Serrat Seoane, ESO 2C


Hello! This is María, from St. Tomé Secondary School in Vigo, Spain. This is a small text about Christmas, how we celebrate it, and things like that.On Christmas the Town Council puts lights on the streets. People usually set a Christmas tree at home and also a belén (Bethlehem). A belén is a miniature village with figurines representing the newborn Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and more people from the christian Bible.On Christmas Eve families eat dinner together. Then, after having eaten (a lot), they go home, usually really late. What do we eat? Well, usually sweets like mazapán and turrón. For dinner, seafood or meat are usually eaten.Also, traditional songs are sung, like Los peces en el río (Fish in the river).Presents are given to children, too. Normally, the Reyes Magos bring them. Father Christmas is not very popular here.

María Bolaño, ESO 2D


I am Eva, I'm from Vigo and there I live. At my home we celebrate Christmas on the 24th of december. That night we have a great meal and have dinner in the living room, and we watch tv, but we must go to bed very early, because Papá Noel (Father Christmas) is going to come and bring the gifts. Those gifts are the presents that previously we had asked for through a letter to Father Christmas. Next day morning we have all the gifts near the Christmas tree. That night we have e.g. quails for dinner and turrón, mazapanes, polvorones, ... as dessert.The streets have got lights in all colours and they have shapes like reindeers, stars, Father Christmas, etc. My home is decorated with the Christmas tree, garlands, colour lights, small dolls as snowmen, etc.Children sing Christmas carols called villancicos.

Eva Álvarez Regueiro, ESO 2D


Christmas is one of the most important festivals in the whole world. Here in Vigo we celebrate it eating with with our relatives. We have turkey, and the 12 grapes, which is a singular tradition in Spain. On January the 6th we open the presents that the Three Kings have brought us.I love this time of the year because we have holidays at school.

Alejandro Iglesias, ESO 2C

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello my name is fernando,im live in spain,galicia,vigo.i study at St Tome high school i like turron ,polvorones and very like cristmas

Anonymous said...

hello¡¡ , my name is AMANDA . I like "festivals:CRISYMAS in Spain" is super .I study at ST.TOMÉ HIGH SCHOOL . :) BUY,BUY....;-)

#AMANDA#**********

Anonymous said...

hi! Lauretas(Riveiro Lago 1ºB). Your picture is very cool and beautiful.You are the winer in your class.LUCK!!!!


your friends: BÁRBARA, UXÍA and SOL

Anonymous said...

Your xmas are very interesing.
We are preparing xmas too, but in Poland we haven't got snow.
We go to school yet 2 days, next we have 2 weeks breake :)
Greetings from Poland

Anonymous said...

Oh, Its beautyfull in spain. I would like to go there for christmass. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Nice foto !
We have the same wonderful christmas too ! ;)
We have big christmas tree , and under then we have a lots of the presents !

Anonymous said...

Hello. It's very beautifull. I like it very much. You've got talent!

Anonymous said...

hi my name is michał im live in poland. I celebrate chrismas 24 december. All my family arrive to my grandma. First we eat fish and the best pies in my life. next we to be divided wafer. next is the best part of chrismast we get lot of presents. i love it. this year i bought my parents lot of films i payed 150 zlotyh. merry chrismast and a happy new year.

Anonymous said...

hi my name is michał im live in poland. I celebrate chrismas 24 december. All my family arrive to my grandma. First we eat fish and the best pies in my life. next we to be divided wafer. next is the best part of chrismast we get lot of presents. i love it. this year i bought my parents lot of films i payed 150 zlotyh. merry chrismast and a happy new year.

Anonymous said...

My name is Ola. Hello!
I agree , christmas is genuine holiday.
Wery good.

Anonymous said...

I agree , christmas is genuine holiday. My name is Ola. :) Wery good.

Anonymous said...

Hay
We are from Poland
In Poland on 24th Dec we don't eat meat
We meets with family too
On 24th we decorate Christmas tree and houses
Christmas in Spain are very interested :]

Anonymous said...

Hi¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
i love so much the post-cards they are so beautiful.Wow¡¡ this page its amazing its very cool¡¡¡¡¡ im from sant tome high school¡¡¡

(alumna 1-b)alm)vvp

Anonymous said...

Hallo¡¡
i love the photos they are amazing amazing pero bien amazing

Anonymous said...

Hiiii¡¡¡ i love so much the cards they are amazing¡¡¡¡ i love the blog too
bye andrea lojo

Anonymous said...

hello i love you bsss pal san tome de freixeiro

Anonymous said...

hello!!

my name is tania

i live in vigo,galicia,spain

i study in san tome de freixeiro

i like christmas

kiss

bye bye

Adrian Kędzierski, Poland said...

Hello, my name is Adrian. I live in Poland. In my country christmas is very very super like in your country

Anonymous said...

hi!
I'm Laura or "Lauretas" :)
Sol, Uxia, Barbara thanks 4 U're comment!!

Sol, Uxia U know U are my BFF(Best Friends Forever)

xxx


;)